Monday, April 18, 2011

Snowing in Michigan / Cooking in Texas

We feel so sorry for all of you in Michigan searching for spring. As for us in Texas we feel like the dog days of summer. It is HOT! On the road it was 111 degrees today. We couldn't keep water cold for very long no matter how much ice we put in our bottles. We landed at a KOA tonight and I immediately jumped in the pool, biking clothes and all. The water was refreshingly cool but it helped my disposition immensely. The heat and strong headwinds really got to me today.
After my swim and shower Ron walked back from the store next door with a 24 once beer for each of us. I've had more beer on this trip than my whole life. Bob, who doesn't drink much either, and I could hardly walk to the store for some supper. So many good laughs.
We didn't get to I 10 yet today. Rode 290 all day. We entered Dripping Springs, Gateway to The Hill Country. And hills it was! In Dripping Springs every business was Dripping something. dripping Donuts, Dripping Paint, Dripping Oil ... You get the picture.
We went through Johnson City, the home of Lyndon B. Johnson. Not very impressive at all. We had lunch there and it was big time bad!
We are in Stonewall, Texas tonight camping like regular folks. There are some strange animals in the field next to us. Not sure what they are. Saw lots of newborn deer along the road - dead! Also several snakes, coyote and a wolf.
Talked to a man today who was asking about our trip. He warned that we are entering into dangerous drug trafficking areas and said we should be carrying guns. I asked if he had any suggestions to be safe. He advised, turn around and ride back to Florida. Guess our trip will get more interesting. I'm sitting outside at the picnic table. It's still 80 and breezy. Tomorrow should be hotter. I suggested tonight that we get up earlier and head out as soon as it's light enough to avoid some of the afternoon heat. We're going to try that.

No comments:

Post a Comment