Saturday, March 19, 2011

St. Augustine, Florida

Absolutely perfect ride along the coast of Florida yesterday. Winds from the ocean kept the heat of the road comfortable and helped our speed as well. Although the day was nearly 70 miles, it actually went by faster. Bob's knee is bothering him a bit (he had surgery on it several years ago) so we hope it holds up. My bottom end has reached the bruising that takes away my breath each time I stand or dismount. The blisters have started to heal so I soon should have the necessary calluses. Now doesn't all this pain make all of you who are sitting on couches reading this jealous?
When we arrived at the KOA in St Augustine the pool was irresistable. Wearing my bicycle clothes I started in only to find that the water temp was about 60. Obviously, the reason why there was only an 8 year old little Mexican boy in the pool. I went down three steps and he stood there encouraging me to come in. "Come on, you're doing better than me. I stayed on that first step. Ok, now get your arms wet," he encouraged. Couldn't look like a wimp in front of that kid, so in I went. Probably the Ivey water was good for my body.
Today is a day of rest. We rode three miles to breakfast. Now while Bob is cleaning the chain and going over every inch of the bike, I'm sitting at the laundry. We will ride into historic St. Augustine in a bit to take in a little of the culture.
Penny is in St. Augustine now and will set up her tent on the same site as ours tonight at this KOA. Looking forward to meeting her in person and the other three guys who will be riding.

2 comments:

  1. Even with my "Cloud 9" bike seat I would never make it. I'll be thinking of you tomorrow morning, riding with you in spirit. Hope you have the time of your lives. Hope Bob's knee holds up. Be safe....have fun!!! Love you, Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jules. I did not like the news of Bob's knees acting up. Even though biking is good for the knees, sometimes there is an inner knee problem which exercise can't repair. Let's just hope it is a beginning strain!!!It is 5:45 pm and you must have day 1 under the belt. Enjoy every minute of the ride. What's with the head shaven riders???? They look the part of experienced riders?? I am following on FB. Blessings, Darlene

    ReplyDelete